Some children can be quite stubborn when it comes to potty training... but at the end of the day, it is a matter of finding the right motivation for them. Below you'll find 15 ideas to easily motivate the most stubborn child to use the potty.
Some of them are easy little prizes for every time your kid uses the potty, while some other are bigger prizes you can use to motivate your little ones at the end of a full week of staying dry/using the potty consistently.
Using prizes is definitely not everybody's cup of tea... however for very stubborn cases, we strongly recommend trying the bribing route :)
- M&Ms - This is one of the most popular prizes used by parents in the US. Most parents give 1 M&M for a pee and 2 M&M's for a poo.
- Any other small pieces of candy
- Popsicles/icecream. Here's a great homemade recipe without any sugar: simply freeze bananas in small pieces in a ziplock bag, and then blend them in a food processor until creamy and smooth - serve immediately.
- A day at the zoo
- A day at the indoor playground
- A day at the aquarium
- A day at the children's museum
- A visit to a place you really don't want to go (Chuck E Cheese's, anyone?)
- A sleepover party (in your living room!)
- A pizza party
- The cutest pair of undies you can find
- Let your little one play with a tablet while using the potty (reserve it only for using the potty, don't let them access the tablet any time they want, to make it very special)
- A day (or a morning, or an afternoon) when your child becomes the "Boss".
- Cake pops! (here's a healthier option)